Wednesday, July 14, 2010

No point for winning an argument!

Eight out of 10 rounds are over in the 4th Mangalore FIDE rated chess tourney and I am lagging behind with just 4.5 points. The just concluded 8th round against Mr.Rajat Kumar of Tamil Nadu produced some fire works off the board. He had white pieces and offered draw soon after 22 moves. I declined the offer and said "let us play". He offered the draw again after few moves. I assertively told him "you cannot offer the draw successively". He nodded and the game continued. On the 35th move, I  made a King move and he objected. The transcripts are as follows:
Rajat: "You touched the pawn at a5 sqaure. So you have to move that".
Me   : " I have n't touched any pawn. You are mistaken"
R      : "No  sir. You touched the pawn. I wrote in my score sheet" (He pointed to his score sheet)
M     : "You may write whatever in your score sheet"
R      :" No. You had touched the pawn"
M     : " I have not touched any pawn. If you are not satisfied, call the arbiter"
{Players from adjacent board got curious and other onlookers surrounded us. Assistant arbiter comes and enquires. Rajat claimed that I had touched the pawn but moved the King. I asserted to the contrary. The asst arbiter looked for witnesses and obviously there was no one.The asst arbiter told that the game would continue and he intends to give a warning to me. I firmly told the arbiter that warning is to be given to the person who made a false claim and not to me. The asst arbiter vacates the scene and main arbiter stepped in. He turned down the claim of my opponent and asked the game to continue.}
The game finally ended in draw after 46 moves with repetition of position.
Well, in chess, there is no point for winning an argument.
Did we left the playing table on a bitter note? No way. Much to the surprise of onlookers, we analysed the game for while and discussed the possible alternatives and then walked out of the hall.
Do you need tips as to how to win arguments? Well, the 17th century poet Neelakata Deekshith stated thus:
 न भेतव्यं न बोद्धव्यं न श्राव्य   वादिनो वचा : | 
झटिति प्रतिवक्ताव्य सभासु विजिगीशुभि:      ||
[The one who desirous of winning arguments need not fear. Need not understand nor hear what the other person says. Retort quickly. That's sufficient.]
Well, the poet has given few more very useful tips, which I will reveal at appropriate time. (after all, I am a chess player!)
Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though you drew the game, you atleast won the argument!

Unknown said...

hi gyus i am a person rajat and even i think he by misstake touched the a5 pawn not intending to touch and i am a chess player and works hard and would not have lied.i think sir ur hand by misstake toched tht peice but any way it was a cleal draw from move 28 or soo
but ur poet's advice was good
but one orgument the aftere playing a new move u would win was proven wrong by me.
i strongly love chess and chess players and u too.
some time misstakes may occur
by misstake touching is also touching.
any way i am increasing 18 points in that tmt.hope soon we meet again next time my fire will be more.......................
love chess and only love chess

Madhu said...

Dear Rajat,
Thanks for your comments. I am glad that soon after the game, we discussed for a while about the possible alternatives. I too admit that all of us do commit mistakes. Hearty congratulations on increasing the rating in a tough tourney. Since you are young, energetic and passionately love the game, you may gradually increase the ratings even more. I am totally out of practice and for the last few years playing just the Mangalore Open once in a year. I am sure you will be a tougher opponent next year. Let us put the incident behind and look forward. Wish you all the very best in Chess, education, profession and in everything else. Shubhamastu.

Unknown said...

thx sir wish u also a prospores futere and i wish i would surely play next mangloore wit u and never give up on chess u know if u practice at any age you could do gr8 ....as impossible itself means i am possible so becoming a gr8 player for u is very possible
just by giving 1 hour a day to chess any way plzzz recomend me any book or material now i am reading my system by nimzowich and its good

Madhu said...

I have heard good review about 'My System'. The books I was immensely benefited were 'The Road to Chess Mastery' and 'Judgment and Planning in Chess' both authored by Max Euwe.
I am also having few volumes of 'My Great Predecessors' by Kasparov. {For my review on this book, pl see elsewhere in my blog}

Anonymous said...

Good argument!!